Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy (was: First draft of review of policy must usage)

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 23:51 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Nov 06, Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> wrote:
>
> > Russ's patch is no good, at least, it does not address the problems I
> > have raised in the past.
> It's still better than what we have now, and solving parts of the
> problems is still better than waiting for the ultimate policy change
> which will fix all of them.

Yes, I don't disagree with you here, nor with Russ's indication of the
same sentiment.

I do think that even with this change (which is, I agree, an incremental
improvement) package maintainers will still have to go by the "seat of
their pants", and cannot be told to stop using "#!/bin/sh" or to stop
using this or that feature of a bash builtin which copies the behavior
of a standard Debian program.

That applies, as Russ noted, specifically to the case of test.

Thomas