Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy

Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

>> +	      must be supported</item>

> Why is that needed ?

It's in widespread use in both Debian scripts and in upstream scripts.
When we tried to warn about this behavior in lintian, it turned up
hundreds of packages and we got a lot of objections to the check on the
grounds that dash supports this construct and the only shell that doesn't
is posh.  It seemed like the general consensus was that requiring that all
those scripts be modified to require bash was more trouble than it was
worth.