Re: ca-certificates symlinks out of /etc

also sprach Gabor Gombas <gombasg@sztaki.hu> [2006.11.02.1443 +0100]:
> Certificates are not configuration files so they should not be in
> /etc.
>
> On the other hand, the decision of which certificate files should
> be USED _is_ a configuration decision, so that information should
> be under /etc. So the current way of the certificates being under
> /usr/share and symlinks to them being in /etc matches the intended
> (and expected) usage of both /etc and /usr/share perfectly.

Yes, I am afraid I cannot argue this point, thank you for explaining
it very nicely. :)

I guess I am just trying to avoid at all cost having to point a lot
of configuration files on a lot of machines to
/etc/ssl/certs/local-cacert.pem and testing the result.

Sorry for the bother and thanks for staying strong.

"i dislike arguments of any kind. they are always vulgar, and often
 convincing."
                                                        -- oscar wilde