Re: arches and etch

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> The only clean way to do this is IMO a dedicated upgrader tool. This
> tool could then have special rules for the following issues:

I don't know if we need such a tool, but it would be definitely helpful if
we had a mechanism to give "hints" to aptitude/apt-get in order to let
them know important changes in the packaging:

It could be new fields like:
Package: python-something
Supersedes: python2.3-something, python2.4-something
Renders-Useless: python-something-common

It could be some generic regexps:
Hint: python\d.\d-(.*) -> python-$1

We could have some priorities associated to hints so that very specific
hints overrides global ones.

> This is of course an etch+1 thing, and really specific for a given
> release.
>
> You can of course imagine that these ideas don't come out of the
> blue. In fact, such a tool is already deployed in ubuntu. I think we
> could port it to debian as well, if enough people see a need for it.

I've never evaluated it but such a tool should try to be generic: for
example it should detect priority changes and proposes for example the
replacement of netkit-inetd by openbsd-inetd.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog