gids assigned non-deterministically

I have started working with transitioning a network to LDAP.  I am still
experimenting with this at home before implementing it "for real."  This
brings me to my concern.  It appears that many groups are added to the
system "willy-nilly."  By that I mean, I have one system where part of
the /etc/group file looks like this:

gdm:x:101:
man:x:12:
sasl:x:45:
ssh:x:102:
crontab:x:104:
xfntserv:x:103:
postfix:x:105:
Debian-exim:x:106:
uml-net:x:107:
messagebus:x:109:
logcheck:x:108:
lpadmin:x:110:
plugdev:*:46:
camera:x:111:
postdrop:x:112:
scanner:x:113:
saned:x:114:
sword:x:115:

On another system, it looks like this:

gdm:x:101:
sword:x:102:
man:x:12:
sasl:x:45:
ssh:x:103:
crontab:x:105:
xfntserv:x:104:
postfix:x:106:
Debian-exim:x:107:
messagebus:x:109:
logcheck:x:108:
lpadmin:x:110:
plugdev:*:46:
uml-net:x:112:
camera:x:113:
postdrop:x:114:

For instance, on one system the camera group has gid 111 and 113 on the
other.  That is a problem if I want to server everything up out of LDAP.
There really should be a "reserved" range, maybe 100-499 of Debian gids,
where they are assigned in a predertmined way.  For example, of package
foo wants to create a system group, it would need to first be assigned a
gid out of this range.  That way, the order in which packages are
assigned does not make a difference, as for instance, group camera will
always be assigned gid 117, for instance.

I'm not sure if such a thing would be feasible or even possible.
However, it is a rather significant annoyance to come up with a solution
for this that wouldn't take a long time to implement.

I guess that if the deployment were on a new network, it would be easier
to affect how the gids are assigned, since you would be looking for
issues like that.  However, for an existing network, this can be more of
a problem.

Regards,

-Roberto

--