Re: Renaming a package

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 11:22:51AM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:

> Steve Langasek schrieb:

> >>Package: oldpkg
> >>Depends: newpkg

> >>Package: newpkg
> >>Replaces: oldpkg
> >>Conflicts: oldpkg

> >*NO* *NO* *NO* *NO* *NO*.  Look closely at the package relationships you've
> >specified.  Why would you upload a package to the archive that *can never
> >be installed*?

> Hm, that used to be a "magic" combination that would let dpkg do the
> right thing.

I've heard this stated before, but if it was ever true, it's definitely not
the case with apt (or with britney), and it's not mentioned in policy.  I
suppose it's possible that dselect had some magic handling here that I've
never seen, but at least for the majority of users, a package in this
configuration isn't useful for transitioning, it's just broken, because it
depends on a package that conflicts with it.