Re: Please revoke your signatures from MartinKraff's keys

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 02:04:31PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On 27 May 2006, Lionel Elie Mamane stated:

>>> If only that were true.  The Americans give me hell.

>> Joe probably meant "pestered by non-USA customs".

>>> Canada practically waves me through.  Last time I drove back to
>>> Oregon, US customs decided that it was appropriate to violate the
>>> rights the US constitution claims I have

>> The US constitution applies only to USA citizens, right?

>         Wrong

I've been imprecise, because - as shocking as it may seem to you -
that email was not a thoroughly researched, serious email, but trying
to poke fun at John. And because the imprecision better served the
purpose of my poking fun. If we are gonna get serious on this, I'd say
something along the lines of "the constitutional rights enjoyed by
certain classes of people, such as aliens and minors, is restricted
compared to what is enjoyed by 'normal' people". And in support of
that, I'd quote decisions of the Supreme Court of the USA like:

  BOARD OF ED. OF INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DIST.NO. 92 OF POTTAWATOMIE CTY. v. EARLS
  No. 01-332. Argued March 19, 2002--Decided June 27, 2002

  RENO, ATTORNEY GENERAL v.  AMERICAN-ARAB ANTI-DISCRIMINATION COMMITTEE
  No. 97-1252. Argued November 4, 1998--Decided February 24, 1999

Obviously, in our current moral framework,some restrictions of
constitutional rights given to aliens are completely OK. Such as
... err .... voting rights?

Some of the actual restrictions in place I agree with. Some others I
disagree. I do think that it is a very dangerous idea for the future
of one's free society to have whole generations raised in the
understanding that searches of private areas by authorities without
probable cause is OK. That's a tiny step in how you raise / educate a
generation that will tend towards accepting a intrusive
government. But then, I've been known to hold extreme views on
children's right.

The relevance of this to Debian development? I see none whatsoever
right now.

>> You say you are not US-ian, only Oregonian. So doesn't apply to
>> you? >:-)

>         Wrong again.

There was a smiley... Of the "I'm making a devilish remark here"
kind. That sentence was poking fun at Paul, not more.

>         I find your assumption of shameful conduct without even an
>  iota of research disturbing, and it leads more to the value one
>  should place in statements made by you in the future than anything
>  else.

You should feel completely free (and justified in doing so) in
ignoring any statement I make jokingly. That's the nature of jokingly
made statements, after all.

--
Lionel