Re: Sun Java available from non-free

[Michael Meskes]
> So why is Java su much more important than all other packages in NEW?

One metric could be the popularity-contest score.  Looking at
<URL:http://popcon.debian.org/unknown/by_vote> to see what packages
are in common use by our packages while being missing in the debian
archive show java in the lead together with mplayer and other
media-related stuff.  Based on those numbers I conclude that Java is
important to our users.

Based on my involvement in Debian Edu, I know Java is important to the
schools we try to move over to free software, and together with a
Flash player are one of the important pieces free software are missing
to provide a complete solution for schools.

But getting non-free Java is only easing the situation (less
maintenance as more people will work on the packages), it isn't
solving it.  And I work with Debian Java to solve it, and will provide
SUN Java to the schools until the point where a free alternative exist
that will fulfill the needs of the schools.

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen