Re: Intent to hijack Bacula (Heads up, Get The Facts!) (long)

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 02:44:14PM +0200, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Quoting Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>:
> > Honestly, though, I'm much more concerned about maintainability than
> > speed of the build.
>
> It's not especially problematic to maintain as it is now, and I ask you
> to recognize the fact that we don't only ship amd64 or (fast) i386...
> Some of the arch's isn't that fast. Don't know how the m68k port is going
> or if it's still alive, but that would be a major point in getting speed
> increases in the build.

Wearing my m68k porter's hat...

Seriously, if the choice is between 'fast builds' or 'reliable builds
that will not fuck themselves up', then my choice is clearly for the
latter.

If there are ways to avoid stuff being rebuilt over and over again, then
that's nice. But it's not so much of an issue if you can't do that. It's
easier for us to add another machine to the buildd pool if we can't keep
up anymore than it is to start debugging weird and unusual runtime
errors.

--
Fun will now commence