Re: multiarch status update

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 00:01 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

>> > Why do you think there's no compatible solution?
>>
>> Because basicaly all sources assume binaries go to <prefix>/bin. You
>> want to break that. Also a lot of scripts expect binaries to be where
>> they are and anything setting PATH too.
>>
>> We have thought hard about this over the last 2 years and nobody has
>> come up with a non disruptive way
>
> Is "non-disruptive" that vital?  What about "minimally disruptive",
> or "a little disruptive"?
>
> As a user, I'd put up with some one-time disruption if that means
> that I could have 64-bit coolness (after all, I'm a home user) while
> keeping 32-bit goodness like OOo2 & w32codecs.

But why would you want to put up with it at all? Do you realy need
both a 32bit OOo and a 64bit OOo? Or both 64bit and 32bit video
players? Isn't one of the two enough?

By only alowing one arch per binary we have a totaly non disruptive
way of implementing multiarch that is fully upwards and downwards
compatible with etch (and only needs a ld.so.conf entry in
sarge). Allowing multiple archs for one binary just solves a problem
that we don't have and adds a ton of complexity not to mention changes
to packages. We are talking 100 vs. 16000.

MfG
        Goswin