Re: multiarch status update

"Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog@gmail.com> writes:

> On 5/14/06, Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5/13/06, Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> wrote:
>> > sense if one considers a #! program to be something that should have
>> > predictable behavior no matter what the user happens to have in his
>> > $PATH.
>>
>> If the independence is a requirement, yes.
>> But I don't think it has to be a requirement.
>> And I think you can replace the path way with a better solution.
>
> My question is:
> - Why does a python program care whether it's running under a 32 or 64
> bit version? Surely it shouldn't matter?

Because it tries to dlopen /usr/i486-linux/lib/foobar/plugin.so, which
needs to use the full path.

> - Why would you want to have both types installed simultaneously anyway?

Only reason is when there are plugins for each arch that the other
arch doesn't have (unlikely that amd64 plugins won't be available on
i386 for the near future) or when performance differs a lot for
programs that don't need the i386 only plugin.

> For libraries the answer is simple, but multiarch applications simply
> don't seem useful to me. The solution would be to either forbid having
> both versions installed, or deal with it via alternatives. They should
> be indistinguishable from a users point of view.

Hence multiarch never made an attempt of splitting /bin/ directories
so far.

MfG
        Goswin