Re: multiarch status update

On 5/14/06, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> wrote:
On 5/14/06, Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/13/06, Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> wrote:
> > sense if one considers a #! program to be something that should have
> > predictable behavior no matter what the user happens to have in his
> > $PATH.
>
> If the independence is a requirement, yes.
> But I don't think it has to be a requirement.
> And I think you can replace the path way with a better solution.

My question is:
- Why does a python program care whether it's running under a 32 or 64
bit version? Surely it shouldn't matter?

Under a 32-bit version it may be able to use less memory and may perform less.
But a good solution to the #! line issue could also be used to select
a specific Python version or deal with a Python in another location.

- Why would you want to have both types installed simultaneously anyway?

For libraries the answer is simple, but multiarch applications simply
don't seem useful to me. The solution would be to either forbid having

Consider for example 32-bit and 64-bit Firefox with some extensions
only available for 32-bit and others only for 64-bit.

both versions installed, or deal with it via alternatives. They should
be indistinguishable from a users point of view.

Being able to install multiple versions is some use to multiarch, but
could also be used for other things, such if two packages provide the
same binary (git for example).
Or to install multiple 'version 'numbers' of the same package.