Re: Intent to hijack Bacula

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 09:30:40PM +0200, Roberto Lumbreras wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 08:37:35AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:

> : > Jose Luis doesn't want just his name in some place, he has worked a lot
> : > in bacula in the past, and I don't know why he can't remain as
> : > maintainer or co-maitainer if he is going to work on it again.

> : You don't get to rest on your laurels in Debian.  Especially when it's
> : been over a year.

> don't be so rude with Jose Luis, and it's not him the only person to
> blame, he is not the only person who can do an upload of a package (in
> fact, he can't)

It is the responsibility of a package maintainer to ensure that fixes for
bugs are uploaded in a timely manner.  If José Luis isn't able to do this,
because he doesn't have a sponsor or for any other reason, then he is not an
effective maintainer for the package.

Actually, we've heard in this thread that Stephen (his AM) *did* offer to
sponsor bacula uploads, and José Luis did not avail himself of this.  So
it's not at all clear to me why you think anyone other than José Luis should
bear the responsibility of this package not being fixed.

> He has packaged the last version of bacula, and it is not uploaded
> because it's not ready, then a new version was showed up... he has a
> personal apt repository that users from bacula mailing list uses, and
> packages (not yet finished) in sourceforge... so is it clear for you
> that he is not going to work on it again?

IME, making plans in Debian based on whether someone else has *promised* to
do something does not give very good results.  The bacula packages have been
removed from testing *repeatedly* over the past year due to one RC bug or
another being reported against it; and it seems that the only real movement
towards getting them fixed has only come in response to John's takeover
attempt.  I can't say that I fault John for wishing to take over this
package and fix it.