Re: PDF files and dh_compress

John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery writes:

>> In practice, the rules that say that work done by the government is
>> automatically public domain...

> Work done by US federal government employees on government time is
> effectively public domain.  This does _not_ apply to work done by state
> or local government employees.  It also does not apply to work done by
> US federal government contractors.

>> ...are undermined by enough special cases that it's best not to rely on
>> them without an explicit statement.

> Could you describe these special cases?

The US federal government contractor one is the one that I'm the most
familiar with, particularly since it has tentacles into a lot of things
that might on the surface appear to be work done by US federal government
employees on government time.  Beyond that, if I had more specifics, I
wouldn't tend as strongly towards suggesting caution.  :)  It's precisely
because the situation in practice seems rather murky that I recommend
being careful.