Re: dist-upgrade dependency problem with xlibmesa-glu vs libglu1-mesa

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 08:37:45PM -0700, Jeremy D Rogers wrote:
> I ran across a dependency problem when dist-upgrading using apt-get.
> The following packages were set to be removed:
> libwxgtk2.6-0
> libxine1
> python-wxgtk2.6
> vlc
> vlc-plugin-alsa
> wxvlc xine-ui
> xlibmesa-glu
> xserver-common
> xserver-xorg
>
> After some digging, I found some of the packages had dependencies on
> "libglu1-mesa | libglu1" and eventually resolved the issue by first
> installing libglu1-mesa which then removed xlibmesa-glu:
>
> # apt-get install libglu1-mesa
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>  xlibmesa-glu
>  libglu1-mesa
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 63 not upgraded.
> Need to get 238kB of archives.
> After unpacking 238kB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
> Get:1 http://mirrors.kernel.org unstable/main libglu1-mesa 6.4.1-0.4 [238kB]
> Fetched 238kB in 4s (48.3kB/s)
> dpkg: xlibmesa-glu: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
>  vlc depends on libglu1-mesa | libglu1; however:
>  Package libglu1-mesa is not installed.
>  Package libglu1 is not installed.
>  Package xlibmesa-glu which provides libglu1 is to be removed.
> libxine1 depends on libglu1-mesa | libglu1; however:
>  Package libglu1-mesa is not installed.
>  Package libglu1 is not installed.
>  Package xlibmesa-glu which provides libglu1 is to be removed.
> libwxgtk2.6-0 depends on libglu1-mesa | libglu1; however:
>  Package libglu1-mesa is not installed.
>  Package libglu1 is not installed.
>  Package xlibmesa-glu which provides libglu1 is to be removed.
>  xbase-clients depends on libglu1-xorg | libglu1; however:
>  Package libglu1-xorg is not installed.
>  Package libglu1 is not installed.
>  Package xlibmesa-glu which provides libglu1 is to be removed.
> (Reading database ... 94575 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing xlibmesa-glu ...
> Selecting previously deselected package libglu1-mesa.
> (Reading database ... 94568 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking libglu1-mesa (from .../libglu1-mesa_6.4.1-0.4_i386.deb) ...
> Setting up libglu1-mesa (6.4.1-0.4)
>
> And then dist-upgrade only wants to remove xserver-common which is as
> it should be:
>
> fenny:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>  xserver-common
>
> I'm not sure what package to report a bug against (if any), so it was
> suggested to me to just report it here. I hope this is appropriate.

This doesn't appear to be a bug at all, but instead everything looks good.
xlibmesa-glu is deprecated in favor of libglu1-mesa. xserver-common is a
dead package as of Xorg 7.0, so it's fine that it gets removed. This is all
assuming you're on unstable though, but even if it's on testing I think
it'll be solved by the migration of Xorg 7.0 to testing.

Is there anything besides the removal of xserver-common that you think is
an issue?

 - David Nusinow