Re: Compiling packages for the standard distribution with -Os instead of -O2

"Rogério Brito" <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote in message [🔎] 20060503131511.GA5759@ime.usp.br">news:[🔎] 20060503131511.GA5759@ime.usp.br...
Hi there.

I think that this may be interesting to anybody that has to work with
computers that are not the latest/more recent as most people in richer
countries seem to have.

It seems to be that a good amount of people upgrade their computers in a
regular basis and, then, don't notice how things can get slower in
"weaker" computers.

Those of us that live in a country where the already installed base of
computers is not recent have to live with software that is ever growing
in terms of both RAM and CPU cycles and this leaves less computing power
for the applications needed to run.

One way to mitigate the memory consumption is to, among other things,
compile packages with optimization of GCC set to -Os, instead of -O2,
which seems to work at least for some programs (the Linux kernel,
mozilla-firefox and my own home-grown programs).

Wait a second. Optimizing for size should decrease speed.
That is the whole idea of size/speed optimization tradeoffs.