Re: Re: XOrg transition, status of libxaw8

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 15:23 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:26:21PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > Wouter asked:
> > >
> > > Just out of curiosity, could you point me to arguments in favour of
> > > Xprint?
> >
> > http://www.dailynews.co.th/
> >
> > QED
>
> Err. You're saying Xprint is the only print implementation that can
> print non-latin stuff properly and reliably?

Yes, that's right.

Unless you've taken particular pains to install your non-latin fonts the
right way and get them used by mozilla the right way, the default
mozilla printer just renders them with empty boxes, making the text a
tad difficult to read.  Xprint manages to print them legibly without
making further particular efforts to set up the fonts. I won't claim the
result is always picture perfect (I'm expecting quality to improve with
X11R7.1), but at least you can read it.

There is apparently some new FreeType support in mozilla printing which
might change things (see http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu.html#T9.3.2),
but Xprint works where the default mozilla postscript driver does not.

Drew