Re: no libldap-dev from openldap2.2 package?

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> You can't right now because GnuTLS support is only available for 2.1.  2.2
> and later will need substantial reworking of that support, and without it,
> the OpenSSL licensing issues cause too many licensing conflicts in Debian
> for it to be safe to provide a -dev package that people can use widely.
>
> I'm pretty sure that we can get funding to do the GnuTLS support for
> OpenLDAP properly.  It's just taking a really long time to work through
> that process.

	Speaking of GnuTLS, postgresql developers are on the verge of being
able to support it as an alternative to OpenSSL, primarily to allow GPLed
code to link against libpq in Debian.

	Here's some history:

	postgresql-general: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=114434455200003&r=2&w=2

	openssl-users: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=114460627200002&r=2&w=2

	freeradius-users: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=114444878100002&r=1&w=2

	Martijn van Oosterhout says he has begin working on this:

	http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postgresql-general&m=114570109002832&w=2

	But it hasn't been without caveats:

	http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postgresql-general&m=114571510900274&w=2
	http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postgresql-general&m=114572079501988&w=2

	It would take me awhile to get my head inside either codebase, but
I'm sure the help of a seasoned pg and/or gnutls debian developer would be
extremely helpful to get a lot of postgres-backed GPL apps into debian.

	Cheers,
		Tyler