Re: effectiveness of rsync and apt

Le Lun 1 Mai 2006 15:31, Brian Eaton a écrit :
> On 4/30/06, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Look at zsync and help develope it far enough so it can look into
> > debs. Without that the gain is practicaly 0 or less.
>
> It's entirely possible that the gain will be nothing no matter what
> algorithm is used.
>
> The only time delta packages will be a win is for upgrades where the
> client has the original package cached.  If the client is installing
> the package from scratch, delta packages are useless.

that's a good point, and I suppose that most of the stable traffic is
due to first install of the packages. Though, I think it's not true
for :
 - security mirrors (like pointed out in the thread already)
 - testing and unstable, where users do many upgrades per month or even
   per week (I think I do almost one per day — let's say 5 per week —
   and I know a lot of people who do the same).

The real question is: do people clean their apt cache or not ? I do,
because after a full X.org/kde/openoffice upgrade, it takes quite a lot
of disk in /var (that is small on my computers). And with that cache
cleaned, I fail to see how we could improve things much.

The mirrors replication could really benefit from that though.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit