Re: Debian Installer team monthly meeting minutes (20060304 meeting)

Quoting Marco d'Itri (md@Linux.IT):
> On Mar 11, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > The idea of non-free installation images pops up but, later, there
> > were comments that it would make the maintenance of D-I builds more
> > complicated, and it is enough complicated already. Another argument
> > is: as soon as non free images will be available, people will always
> > use them.
> And this would be bad because people who own hardware which uses
> uploadable firmware must suffer, don't they?

IIRC, the remark was from Joey and you may be missing context. Joey's
intent was certainly not saying that people with such hardawre must
suffer. I actually fail to see moments where Joey ever told such things.

He was just pointing that such images would be seen by outsiders as
"more complete" images to install Debian.

Thus, one can expect that everyones would use them....even when not
needing them. And so, these images would quickly become the only
Debian installation media...while we do not completely support them.

This has actually nothing to do with our own feelings about what is
free and what isn't...or even our feelings about the exact place to
draw the line (my own feelings are pretty liberal in that
matter...read that I'm not a hardcore zealot for "more Free than
Free"...while the feelings of other d-i team member are more strict).

Hope this clears everything out and especially the "D-I team thinks
that our users must suffer" thingie..:)