custom package error: dpkg -P tries to remove /opt

hello all debian-devel,

This seems like a very basic issue, but I've searched through the mailing lists and web and haven't found any help.

I'm trying to create a basic set of custom packages which will hold some of our software, complied and customized as we like it for our machines. We like to put our custom build software in /opt. Everything is working fine, I have basic postinst and prerm scripts working well.

However, I can't seem to figure out how to resolve this error:

$ dpkg -i custom-package.deb
 ... installation goes perfectly ....
$ dpkg -P custom-package
 ... removal goes perfectly until this error/warning....
dpkg - warning: while removing custom-package, unable to remove directory `/opt': Device or resource busy - directory may be a mount point ?

Well, yeah, /opt is a mount point, and it would definitely be a good thing if it wasn't removed. But how can I tell dpkg that I don't want it to try to remove /opt??

Thanks much!!!

Mike