the latest gnome

The latest gnome (2.12.2 according to Desktop>About GNOME) has, like
all previous "up"grades, disabled my preference for emacs-style
editing in forms, etc.  It used to be in the Keyboard Preferences
dialog, but as I have become accustomed to seeing, the latest version
has removed more features, including this one.

I feel a little like that Star Trek episode where Dr. Crusher keeps
finding that people are vanishing, until she's left in a little bubble
of a universe all by herself.

In any case, since the latest gnome has also disabled the help system
(or rather, the most up-to-date manual is the accessibility guide for
2.8 and the user's guide for 2.6), where has the feature moved to this
week?

Thomas