Re: USB-to-UART converter

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:02:46AM -0800, kos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use a USB-to-UART (8 port) converter. I expected it to
> get recognized and create device names like /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyUSB1
> ...../dev/ttyUSB7. However, this did not happen.
>
> [Surprisingly, the single USB-to-UART (1 port) converter works fine and
> /dev/ttyUSB0 is available for my use]
>
> I did
>
> # dmesg | tail
>
> and found the following output...

> hub.c: USB hub found
> hub.c: 4 ports detected
> hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.1-1.1, assigned address 3
> usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x403/0x6010) is not claimed by any
> active driver.
> hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.1-1.2, assigned address 4
> usb.c: USB device 4 (vend/prod 0x403/0x6010) is not claimed by any
> active driver.
> hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.1-1.3, assigned address 5
> usb.c: USB device 5 (vend/prod 0x403/0x6010) is not claimed by any
> active driver.
> hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.1-1.4, assigned address 6
> usb.c: USB device 6 (vend/prod 0x403/0x6010) is not claimed by any
> active driver.
>
> Does anyone know what this means? Can anybody help me with getting my
> USB-to-UART working?
>
> The converter that I am using is from "vscom". I downloaded some driver
> from their website for linux. But, these drivers does not build.
>
> Has anyone faced similar problem?

This question is better asked on debian-user, however your problem is that
none of your drivers are recognising this device as being one that they
support.

Try Googling for the vendor and product IDs for your device (determined from
the output of "lsusb") and see if you can get an indication of the chipset,
and what driver supports it the chipset. Often the solution is to add the
vendor and product ID to the driver and rebuild it.

I've had USB ethernet adapters that were based on the Pegasus chipset, but
not recognised by the pegasus driver that have suffered from this problem in
the past.

regards

Andrew