Re: buildd and experimental

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 05:24:52PM +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 02:46:02AM +0100, Gabor Gombas wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 01:04:17AM +0000, Brian M. Carlson wrote:
> > > However, the code of conduct seems to
> > > point out that one should not Cc someone unless they specifically ask
> > > for it (a guideline that you neglected to follow, after I pointed this
> > > out to Mr. Bushnell).
> >
> > Frankly, I never check the recipient list when I press "g" in mutt. I
> > assume that if you do not want to be CC'ed, then you can set up
>
> How?  I can't use the same header for two purposes; if I want to specify
> that private replies should go to one address, but I want list replies to go
> to the list (and only the list), how do I go about that using only Reply-To?

Well, this is where the Mail-Followup-To: magic comes in I thought.
Public replies respect M-F-T, so this is the header you should add
yourself too when you're not subscribed.  Private replies use Reply-To
to find the recipient, if that fails it uses the From: header.  In
mutt M-F-T is used by "list-reply" (hitting 'L') if your mailing lists
are set up properly.

But I've heard people claiming M-F-T is not a proper standard (despite
not having an X- in the header) and even being broken.  Reply-To:
should never be touched by mailing lists however[0], it is very
annoying and private mails often go to the list instead of the person.

And I agree that in the end it is down to the user to comply with the
mailing list policy.  Although that in the Debian case I regard
setting M-F-T to myself (and the list) as an explicit CC request.

[0] http://www.interhack.net/pubs/munging-harmful/

Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom