Re: Draft DDP policy

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> wrote:

>> > Policy is somewhat out of date with respect to documentation. There's
>> > actually a (draft) DDP policy which covers this already. I know, I've written
>> > it.
>>
>> Where can we look at the draft?
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/docpolicy will direct you to
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ddp-policy/ddp-policy
>
> BTW, it probably needs a rewrite

Indeed, it seems so.  I won't have time to do this, but I'd like to make
some suggestions.

It seems to me that the document addresses two related, but rather
different issues.  One is "How should documentation packages install and
register their documents", and it's targetted at any maintainer and
could finally find its place in "The Policy".  The other is "How do we
want to document Debian and its procedures, administration etc.", and it
is mostly uninteresting for everybody except those who actually maintain
those documents.  Even people who regularly submit patches (like I do
for developer's reference) need not know this.

I therefore suggest to split the document in two, one with the aim of
becoming a "Documentation Packages Policy" within the debian-policy
package; the other a kind of "Documenting Debian HOWTO" with a more
limited audience.  If casual contributors need to know anything from it
(like a requirement to license one's patch explicitly under the license
of the document with a signed mail or things like this), it could be
included in a "how to improve this" section in every document.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)