Re: How to purge linux-image-2.6.14

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 02:53:57AM +0100, Cesare Leonardi wrote:
> Hi all.
> I would ask a question i've already posted in the #344767 bug report.
>
> Recently i've talked with someone else that cannot purge the 2.6.14
> kernel, due to bug #344767. It's a known problem, already solved for
> 2.6.15, but for people that still use 2.6.14 or have used it, the
> problem of purging it completely still exist.
> For example on my machine, the various kernel images i've installed in
> the past, are now uninstalled but marked as "c" and if i try to purge
> them, the lock described in the bug report arise. Then i have to press
> CTRL+C to exit.
> After upgrading to 2.6.15 and have seen that the bug was corrected,
> i've forgotten about this and the not clean (but innocuous) situation
> left by the 2.6.14 uninstall procedure. And so now i am curious to know
> it there is an hack to circumvent the bug and completely purge the
> linux-image-2.6.14 packages.
> It's my intention to put one or more responses into the bug report, to
> help the others that will fall in this bug.
>
> As suggested in the bug report, i've tryed to look at the postrm scripts
> in "/var/lib/dpkg/info/" but i cannot understand them adequately (i
> don't know perl).

I don't know perl either, but maybe this would work (try at your own
risk though):
1) edit /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.14-*.postrm
2) Search for  do_bootloader in the file.  Change any of the YES's to
  NO's.
3) Try to purge the package.
4) run update-grub.

I've not tried this so I don't know if this will even fix the problem
but it *might* work.