Re: Derivatives and the Version: field (Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu)

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 06:47:22PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>> In any case, I want to note what has just happened here.  You received
>> a clear, easily implemented, request about what would be a wonderful
>> contribution, and which is (from the Debian perspective) entirely
>> non-controversial.
>>
>> Your response was not to say "yes, great!" but rather to argue about
>> whether these are things Debian should care about, and protest that
>> they are not valuable and take too much work.
>
> What I saw was that a discussion with a practical point (treatment of the
> Maintainer field) was sidetracked because you started to focus on the
> Version field instead, and I asked you to justify your concern.

I think both of these are important.

Even more important is certainly the bug-reporting issue, I think.

> Furthermore, regardless of whether you think it is easy, a global change of
> the Version field is not something that I can even consider making in the
> middle of our short release cycle, so it really isn't much of a priority at
> this time.

Of course, but all that takes is "ah, this makes sense, we'll look at
it for the next release; since that's a short cycle, it's not a long
wait."

I am extremely patient with the plea that doing something takes time
and energy, and so it will happen eventually but not right away.

Thomas