Re: Aptitude question

James Vega <jamessan@debian.org> writes:

> The aptitude in unstable and testing has a feature that lists suggested
> ways to fix broken packages.

Unfortunately, the feature doesn't work very well.

Frequently I say "aptitude remove XXX" and the first several
suggestions that aptitude comes up with is not removing XXX and the
things that depend on it, but rather various contortions of trying to
keep XXX in the system.

Likewise, I have said "aptitude install XXX" and had the first several
suggestions include removals of XXX.

Seems to me that aptitude should assume that the request the user
explicitly made has priority over other things.

Thomas