Re: libesd0 v libesd-alsa0

Le mercredi 20 décembre 2006 à 11:33 +0000, Sam Morris a écrit :
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:15:47 +0300, Vladimir Kozlov wrote:
> > Somehow I had libesd0 installed while I have alsa as well, and this
> > prevents alsa from working properly - I had to do alsaconf after each
> > reboot.
> > Shouldn't the libesd-alsa0 be automatically installed with alsa instead
> > the libesd0?
> >
> > Please CC me as I'm not in the debian-devel list.
>
> It is a shame that libesd0 is instaled by default instead of libesd-alsa0
> but AFAIK it's too late in the release cycle to do anything about it. :(
>
> I think the best way would be to change the shlibs information for
> libesd0 so that packages that use it end up depending on "libesd-alsa0 |
> libesd0". However that would require a rebuild of all depending packages.
>
> Perhaps the installer could be hacked to install libesd-alsa0 by default
> or something. It would be great if we didn't have to go through _another_
> release where users will have to put up with programs hogging their sound
> cards, especially since alsa-lib now has software mixing configured by
> default.

Last time I tried, libesd-alsa0 was corrupting sound in a horrible way.

In all cases, as esound is buggy and unmaintained in Debian, it is
deactivated by default at least in all GNOME software. The default for
gstreamer, vlc, xine and others is to use direct ALSA output, which, as
you explained, has software mixing enabled by default.

--
Josselin Mouette                /\./\

"Do you have any more insane proposals for me?"