Re: Downgrading the priority of nfs-utils [was: Re: Upgrading the priority of ucf]

On 6 Nov 2006, at 9:26 am, Josselin Mouette wrote:

Le jeudi 02 novembre 2006 à 05:22 -0800, Josh Triplett a écrit :
I would suggest b); reducing the "standard" set of packages seems like a
feature, it won't break upgrades (if installed, the package will stay
installed), and new installs don't need to get nfs-kernel-server as part
of the *default* install.

We're not talking about the NFS server, but of the NFS client. And a
working NFS client is surely something we want as part of the default
install.

If someone wants to run an nfs server, they
can install an nfs server package, either nfs-kernel-server or
nfs-user-server (no good reason to prefer one to the other).

nfs-user-server is deprecated. I think we shouldn't even ship it at all.

I still use it on some real-world servers, but I can't now remember why. I definitely found something which only worked with the userland server. Wish I could remember what it was, but since the machines in question are production servers, I'm not about to mess with them to find out...

Tim