Re: Downgrading the priority of nfs-utils [was: Re: Upgrading the priority of ucf]

On 6 Nov 2006, at 9:26 am, Josselin Mouette wrote:

Le jeudi 02 novembre 2006 à 05:22 -0800, Josh Triplett a écrit :
I would suggest b); reducing the "standard" set of packages seems like a
feature, it won't break upgrades (if installed, the package will stay
installed), and new installs don't need to get nfs-kernel-server as part
of the *default* install.

We're not talking about the NFS server, but of the NFS client. And a
working NFS client is surely something we want as part of the default

If someone wants to run an nfs server, they
can install an nfs server package, either nfs-kernel-server or
nfs-user-server (no good reason to prefer one to the other).

nfs-user-server is deprecated. I think we shouldn't even ship it at all.

I still use it on some real-world servers, but I can't now remember why. I definitely found something which only worked with the userland server. Wish I could remember what it was, but since the machines in question are production servers, I'm not about to mess with them to find out...