Re: Do not use control@b.d.o for bug ping-pong

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 04:06:49 -0800, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 03:05:35AM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
>> > If you're doing this, you better have already written (or gotten
>> > someone else to write) the patch to fix whatever bug you want
>> > reopened and fixed; otherwise the ctte will likely close and
>> > ignore your bug report too.
>>
>> FWIW, this particular ctte member is likely to side with any
>> submitter who can demonstrate that there is a real, non-wishlist bug
>> in the package.
>
>I meant that it's unlikely that the bug will actually be fixed unless
>there's a patch, as there's no way to force the maintainer to do the
>work. [And really, if it's a big enough deal to bother the -ctte about
>it, someone should be convinced enough to bother to write the patch.]

But I feel that it is _wrong_ to close wishlist bugs like that. It is
ok to tag them wontfix or help, or even usertag them send-patch, but
closing them immediately doesn't help anybody but statistics.

I was not the least surprised to see who maintains the package this
particularly bug was filed against. M'd is by far the most
heavy-handed maintainer when it comes to close bugs without really
fixing them. And whenever I see a particularly bad case of bug
ping-pong, M'd is participant in the vast majority of cases.

Greetings
Marc