Re: static linking and opportunistic dynamic linking problem

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> On Dec 14, Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> So where do people think the bug lies?
>>  - Should libdl be compiled into libnewt.a ?
> Yes.

Is there even a libdl.a?

And what if I have libfoo.a libbar.a libblub.a all using dlopen?
Should they all have it linked in so I get 3 copies of the code?

No, if static libs need other libs the aplication has to link them in
at the end. Likely as a result of *.la files.

>>  - Should the static version of libnewt be built differently so as to
>> not call dlopen()?
> Maybe.

That would be an option. But then the static version would have less
features.

>>     - if so, any recommendations on how?
> Remove the feature?
>
> --