Re: Iceweasel extensions lacking links migrating from firefox. Mass bug?

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 08:37:15PM +0000, Darren Salt <linux@youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I demand that Yaroslav Halchenko may or may not have written...
>
> > Unfortunately I didn't spot this problem when I was closing #400168.
> > Iceweasel after transition doesn't care about extensions listed under
> > /usr/lib/firefox/extensions/ and require them under
> > /usr/lib/iceweasel/extensions/. So quite a few broke (I have 2)
>
> > So 2 possible solutions
> > 1. Fix every extension to provide links under /usr/lib/iceweasel. So I
> > would need to send a mass bug report
> > or
> > 2. Adjust iceweasel to scan /usr/lib/firefox/extensions/ for
> > additional extensions to complement the list of already  found ones under
> > /usr/lib/iceweasel/extensions/.
>
> Chances are that it looks in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/extensions - both
> firefox and iceweasel look for plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins.

It does for plugins, but not for extensions. It's easier to add plugins
directories than extensions directories, though the latter is not
impossible.

> Which means that there are also broken plugins... I've just checked this (via
> packages.d.o) and found that the following provide plugins in
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins but not in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins or
> /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins:
>
>   mozilla-plugin-gnash
>   mozilla-opensc
>
> Bugs are already opened for mozilla-plugin-gnash (399920 and 402292).
> However, none are for mozilla-opensc - does it work with iceape or iceweasel?
>
> What about packages which provide content in /usr/lib/mozilla/extensions or
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins but not the corresponding iceape directories? Does
> iceape still notice their presence? (Bug 402292 doesn't say either way.)

Nope, it doesn't, but next version will get plugins from
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Note mozilla/iceape doesnt have an extension
manager so extensions need to register in directly in its chrome in the
old fashion (putting files in /usr/share/iceape/chrome, adding stuff in
/var/lib/iceape/*...)

I still need to file bugs on packages still putting files in
/usr/lib/mozilla/chrome...

Mike