Re: Back to the original topic

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> What matters is that Perl started out as

>      Perl is a interpreted language optimized for scanning  arbi-
>      trary  text  files,  extracting  information from those text
>      files, and printing reports based on that information.  It's
>      also  a good language for many system management tasks.  The

> And has wound up being everything for everybody (who likes to swear
> at the computer[*]).  Definitely *not* The Unix Way.

I must admit I have a knee-jerk dislike of the phrase "the Unix Way,"
probably because I've seen it come up far too much in discussions of this
sort and almost always with the apparent meaning "I don't like the tools
that you use but don't have specific reasons that I think you'll find
persuasive, so instead will just say that they're not the Unix Way."

(And personally, I program in C, shell, Perl, Python, and Lisp depending
on the situation, will probably end up learning Ruby.)

I like what I can do with a current Debian system a lot more than what I
could do with a pure Unix system from the mid-1980s.