Re: Bash /dev/tcp and /dev/udp

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 12:30:09PM +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote:

> For this feature there are several scripts and tools around which use
> this feature. Moreover if you want to make a net boot image where you
> need to contact a other host easy there is no way to do this with debian
> Linux so I have to switch to an other distribution like RedHat or even
> Susi^He.

  Of course there is.  Using netcat, telnet, ftp, tftp, or similar.

  Yes it is a shame this isn't available, but it isn't something
 that you should switch distribution over.  If its that important
 rebuilding the package with it enabled wouldn't take more than an
 hour ..

> The related bug report is tagged as wontfix (146464) but this is absolute
> not reasonable.

  You might disagree with the decision of the maintainer
 but this isn't an unreasonable action at all.

Steve