Re: RFH: linux-2.6 patch needs tester

Am Donnerstag 23 November 2006 07:43 schrieb Goswin von Brederlow:
> I wrote a patch for the linux-2.6 source top enable 64bit kernels for
> i386 as we had in sarge. I've tested the patch on amd64 and i386 so I
> know native builds will work.

You wrote in #379090:
"Without that flag the build tries to use x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc, which
is not available on i386. Only gcc -m64 is."

Well, why isn't this changed, then? A small script on i386 like:
----- /usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc -----
#!/bin/sh
exec `basename $0 | cut -f 4 -d -` -m64 "$@"
with links from others should be not problem and would remove all special
cases.
Simply fake the cross-compilation and you have no special case anymore. This
might also be good for other situations where you want to compile for amd64
on i386 but must omit the runtime checks.

HS