Re: Fwd: FC6 downloads and installs

Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 07:06:33AM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Could we have something like this after release:
> [...tracking unique IP addresses that connect to Fedora mirrors...]
>
> Doing it that way (checking for people running 'apt-get update' or
> similar) isn't going to be possible for Debian, since we don't have
> access to the logs on all our mirrors (and getting that access would be
> /very/ hard to do, since it would require our mirrors to give out that
> data).
>
> However, etch will install popcon by default, which also tracks unique
> submitters. While this will be voluntary (people can decline to install
> popcon fairly easily), it will give us a fair approximation of the
> number of our users (at the very least, it will give the lower margin).

Redhat suffered badly with bandwidth with FC. And they coudnt track
bittorent numbers like that either.

In any case, the popcon package should produce some very interesting
results (as well as flame wars, i.e. gnome cs kde etc)

Anton

--
email: anton@piatek.co.uk	home: 02380 557 995
mobile:	07900 951 627		work: 01962 816 557