Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:36:47 +0100, Bill Allombert
<allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> said:

> On the other hand, it more or less mandates that /bin/sh is
> /bin/bash (because /bin/sh is not a config file, and baring policy
> authorization, users are not supposed to change symlinks in
> /bin).

        No. Debian technical policy applies to Debian packages, not to
 Debian users.

> his looks like a regression a regression in user choice: I expect
> there are sufficiently many Debian installation where /bin/sh is
> /bin/dash for us to claim that /bin/sh pointing to /bin/dash is a
> supported and tested configuration.

        Secondly, policy is not exhaustive in that it tries to pecify
 everything that is permissible.

        manoj
--
This is the sort of English up with which I will not put. Winston
Churchill