Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy

Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> writes:

> I'd like to see this say something about what may be assumed of the
> standard shell utilities, as well as the shell itself, and in
> particular I'd like to see coreutils bug #339085 addressed [please see
> the bug log for my personal very strong opinion on which way it should
> be addressed].

I'm not sure I want to get into this one from a Debian Policy perspective.
Putting aside questions of what the right approach is, the standard shell
utilities exist for the most part in a single package.  I think it falls
to the maintainer of that package and, if necessary for appeal, the
tech-ctte to determine technical policy for that package.

The primary purpose of the Debian Policy document in my view is to handle
cross-package, cross-distribution integration issues as well as to provide
the technical specification of Debian core components like the packaging
format.  I don't think it's the right venue for debating the correct
behavior of specific individual packages, even when those packages are
Essential, unless those packages are pieces of the package management
system for which Policy is the final behavior specification.

I'm not sure how clear that was; if that didn't make sense, let me know.