Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:

> If you are proposing that anything installed as /bin/sh *must* support
> feature such-and-such *if* it has a test builtin, then I'm ok with that.

Any shell that supports being installed as /bin/sh must currently provide
a test builtin to support a network-mounted /usr, since coreutils test is
in /usr/bin not /bin.  I'm fairly certain that no Debian system is
bootable without a working test and [ implementation during boot; if
nothing else, such constructs are used in early pre-network init scripts.

That being said, I agree that requirement doesn't necessarily have to be
written into Policy.  I don't mind adding "if a test builtin is provided"
to the requirement in my proposed patch.