Re: 2 ftpds packages conflicts

Hello,

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 11:34:14PM +0100, Sz?kelyi Szabolcs wrote:
> > can anyone tell why ftpds do conflict with each other and why httpds do
> > not?
>
> Actually the httpds should conflict too as they install listeners on
> 0.0.0.0:80.
>
> E.g.:  With no httpd installed, install the apache package, apache will
> listen on 0.0.0.0:80; now install the thttpd package, it'll work fine,
> but no thttpd daemon will run afterwards, because it fails to bind to
> 0.0.0.0:80, see syslog; reboot the machine, and you'll be surprised to
> see the thttpd daemon run, and not apache, because thttpd gets started
> first.
>
> I still think this will fix such problems just fine:

I notice that the maintainer of msmtp has taken the route suggested
by Gerrit Pape. (Note the package "msmtp-mta").

Another option is the one taken by {x,g,k}dm. There is an
"alternatives"-style setting that chooses the server one wants to run
by default.

One advantage of the former method is that you do not need to
co-ordinate this with other maintainers of similar servers.

One advantage of the latter method is that the users do not get
confused by "one-more-package".

Regards,

Kapil.