Re: First draft of review of policy must usage

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Dear Luk,
>
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 08:16:59 +0200, Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> said:
>
>> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>> Hi,
>
>> Hi Manoj
>
>> Can everyone please focus on the release and discuss things that
>> don't help to release on December 4th at all till after that date?
>
>> Thank you very much.
>
>         The next time you feel the urge to be patronizing, ponder on
>  these:
>   a) what gives you the right to pontificate and  tell people what to
>      do from your high horse?

Look who's talking...

>   b) Why do you think getting on a soap box is likely to help
>      anything, including  a dialogue on this list?

I don't understand this sentence: 'getting on a soap box'?

>   c) that for some of us doing things right trumps releasing on some
>      arbitrary deadline hands down?

Same for 'trumps' in previous sentence.

>         Part of doing things right it to lick the technical policy in
>   shape; reviewing the must directives for bloat has been long
>   overdue. If the policy is so far from reality that release managers
>   do not consider violation of must directives as something that would
>   compromise the high standards of what Debian considers fit for
>   release, then it seems to me we need to fix policy.

You keep putting things in the release managers' mouth... It's not because in
some cases the must in policy isn't considered RC that release managers think
violation of must directives is ok to release with in general...

>         Now, if you can stop lecturing and review the changes, and
>  provide feedback on whether my judgement for thechanges is on the
>  right path, you would be helping. If noit, could you please let the
>  rest of us work on getting a better technical policy out?

I don't like the timing at all. As you said above it's long overdue, so I
don't see why it should happen near release time?

Cheers

Luk

--
Luk Claes - http://people.debian.org/~luk - GPG key 1024D/9B7C328D
Fingerprint:   D5AF 25FB 316B 53BB 08E7   F999 E544 DE07 9B7C 328D