Re: Lots of (easily recognisible) spam sent to the BTS today

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 07:10:20PM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> Hi Javier,
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 12:05:58AM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure if anybody else is seeing this but I have seen (just today) 28
> > spam messages sent to the BTS. I've received them because they were all sent
>
> I've seen BTS spam before and ask the list admins about it.

I have seen it too, it's just that yesterday it blew out of proportion.

> Does BTS mail have identifiable header and/or body characteristics to
> determine what is legitimate? Does all mail to the bts come from: debian.org
> mailers, reportbugs or some identifable sources that would make
> legitimate email identifable?

Currently, anyone with a legitimate e-mail address can send a bug report
(properly formatted, so it's more difficult for SPAM to open bugs) to
control@b.d.o or append information to a bug (no formatting required, so it's
rather easy for SPAM to get there) by sending it to XXXX@b.d.o

I'm more concerned by the fact that spam can close bugs, for reference read:

AFAIK, here's currently no technical measure in place (X-Header required,
whitelist of valid senders, GPG signature) that prevents spammers from
hitting XXXX-close@b.d.o, so when that happens it has to be delt with
manually (like it recently happened with [1], but there have been occassions
where it has been more aggresive)

Regards

Javier

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/2005/09/msg00064.html