sometimes-dependency, linux-image-2.6.18-1-486

First, a specific 'bug' that may not be, then a general query.

Trying to install linux-image-2.6.18-1-486 I got an error while running mkinitrd.yaird which I ended up resolving by installing a newer verison of yaird. Should that be filed as a bug against linux-image-2.6.18-1-486 even though its not always a dependency?

And that leads me to the general question, on the topic of sometimes-dependencies. Does debian have any facility to handle such? linux-image-2.6.18-1-486 doesnt technically depend on yaird, since it can use any mkinitrd script (of which there are many, provided by other packages), but when it does pick mkinitrd.yaird then it requires an up to date version of yaird.