Re: Lack of a GR proposal explicitly condemning dunc-tank

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:50:27 -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> said:

> Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>> Matthew Wilcox writes:

>>> I'm so thoroughly disgusted by you and the actions of people like
>>> you that I've stopped working on Debian.  nice job, wanker.

>> That is the sole content of Matthew Wilcox's message to me, apart
>> from some quoted text from debian-private, which I have removed.

>> Normally I wouldn't publish private email but I think in this case
>> the abusive nature warrants it.

> Two wrongs didn't really make a right here, IMO, and I'm not talking
> about publication of private e-mail.  Losing one's temper and
> insulting one's colleagues in e-mail isn't okay, but neither is
> deciding to escalate an already angry situation by trying to
> humiliate someone in public for losing their temper.  Nothing good
> is going to come from that.

        In my experience, turning the other cheek ends up in getting
 two smarting cheeks and little else. There has to be _some_
 disincentive for people initiating and perpetuating such overt abuse;
 some negative conditioning so that they don't spew off quite so
 unrestrainedly in the future.

        Could you suggest what form this negative conditioning should
 take?

        manoj
--
Ninety percent of everything is crap. Theodore Sturgeon