Re: Lack of a GR proposal explicitly condemning dunc-tank

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:50:27 -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> said:

> Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>> Matthew Wilcox writes:

>>> I'm so thoroughly disgusted by you and the actions of people like
>>> you that I've stopped working on Debian.  nice job, wanker.

>> That is the sole content of Matthew Wilcox's message to me, apart
>> from some quoted text from debian-private, which I have removed.

>> Normally I wouldn't publish private email but I think in this case
>> the abusive nature warrants it.

> Two wrongs didn't really make a right here, IMO, and I'm not talking
> about publication of private e-mail.  Losing one's temper and
> insulting one's colleagues in e-mail isn't okay, but neither is
> deciding to escalate an already angry situation by trying to
> humiliate someone in public for losing their temper.  Nothing good
> is going to come from that.

        In my experience, turning the other cheek ends up in getting
 two smarting cheeks and little else. There has to be _some_
 disincentive for people initiating and perpetuating such overt abuse;
 some negative conditioning so that they don't spew off quite so
 unrestrainedly in the future.

        Could you suggest what form this negative conditioning should

Ninety percent of everything is crap. Theodore Sturgeon