Re: gids assigned non-deterministically

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 09:36:56AM +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:

> That is no longer a reality with groups like plugdev, powerdev and
> netdev, which users need to be a member of to be able to get the wonders
> of automatically mounted usb-sticks, tweakable power management and
> whatever comes with the utopia stack.

Then use pam_group to temporarily assign those groups to users. That way
the gids can be different on every system, and you can even gain
performance by having less groups in LDAP.

Especially if you have more than a handful of users (and if you are
considering LDAP, I assume you have), groups with hudreds or thousands of
members can cause headaches.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences