Re: gids assigned non-deterministically

Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
> I have started working with transitioning a network to LDAP.  I am still
> experimenting with this at home before implementing it "for real."  This
> brings me to my concern.  It appears that many groups are added to the
> system "willy-nilly."  By that I mean, I have one system where part of
> the /etc/group file looks like this:

> gdm:x:101:
> man:x:12:
> sasl:x:45:
> ssh:x:102:
[...]

> On another system, it looks like this:

> gdm:x:101:
> sword:x:102:
[...]

See http://www.at.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.2.2

> That is a problem if I want to server everything up out of LDAP.

Either install the packages which dynamically add system users on a master
machine first and set them up and export them in LDAP (they won't be
re-generated on the client machines if the user already is present) or do
not keep system users in LDAP.
cu andreas
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute