Re: debian-policy: New virtual package: cron-daemon

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 09:48:01PM +0200, Clément Stenac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >  [ Debian-specific feature ]
> >  - Correct execution of /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly}
>
> Don't we support these by using entries in /etc/crontab and run-parts
> for all cron systems, which would make this requirement void ?

'We' as in Vixie Cron? Yes, but I want to list it explicitly since
/etc/crontab is shipped by cron and I would not consider a replacement that
did not execute the scripts there (imagine a replacement that shipped an
empty /etc/crontab or did not ship one at all [1]).  Notice that there's is
nothing preventing a cron replacement to handling those directories by itself
natively (i.e. without using /etc/crontab lines).

Regards

Javier

[1] Of course, if /etc/crontab were provided as a configuration file of a
different (standard) package this issue would be side-stepped.