Re: Allowing @ in user names?

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 12:39:39PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 01:34:35PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > I'm thinking of this slightly obscure service called email.  It might
> > possibly be affected by such brain damage.  Why can't the bug submitter
> > make to with +, ., and other such characters?
>
> According to my very brief examination of RFC2822, a quoted-string is
> permitted as the local prt of an address, so it should be possible to
> address email to, for example, "username@withatsign"@example.com.

Then, I guess the relevant question has to do with whether or not
adduser (and the rest of the components that touch or use the username)
are RFC2822 compliant.  BTW, I was not aware of RFC2822, but I would
think that since the @ is used as the standard username and hostname
seperator, you would not want to use it as part of the user name.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez