Reasons for keeping Coin3D (libcoin20) at version 1.0.4?

Hi,

A project that requested for my help towards packaging their software
for Debian has libcoin20 as one of its dependencies. One of the first
steps I must take is, of course, make sure the project's dependencies
are met in Debian.

Coin3D (packaged in Debian as libcoin20) is currently at version 2.4.5
[1], released in April 2006, while in Sid and Etch we still have
1.0.4-5 [2]. The last upload, sent in January [3], basically deals
with the xlibs transition. The last upstream version was uploaded in
February 2003 [4].

Is there a reason we are still carrying this version? Steve, are you
still actively maintaining it (or interested in doing so)? If not,
would you oppose handing it over?

Greetings,

[1] http://www.coin3d.org/news/coin-2.4.5-release

[2] http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/libcoin20